ERROR_INTERNET_FORCE_RETRY
Stephen Sulzer
2004-05-12 22:19:32 UTC
ERROR_INTERNET_FORCE_RETRY is actually not an error. :) The meaning of
this status code is "The application needs to redo the request."

FORCE_RETRY means that WinInet wants you to resend the request. That is,
simply 'goto' back to your HttpSendRequest[Ex] call and resend the same
request using the same HTTP request handle.

This "error" can occur when, after your request has been sent, WinInet
receives an authentication challenge from a server or proxy. After the
authentication challenge has been handled, the request needs to be resent
because the server/proxy does not remember the client's request. In
particular, the server/proxy will not remember the entity body of the
request--e.g., the POST data. Since WinInet also does not cache the entity
body of your request, it needs the application to resend it.

To see an example of an application handling FORCE_RETRY, see the sample
code in this WinInet authentication documentation:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/wininet/wininet/handling_authentication.asp

Stephen
Does anybody know the possible reason of wininet error
ERROR_INTERNET_FORCE_RETRY (12032) ?
How can application recover from this error ?
HttpEndRequest function returns this error (usually when proxy server is
present).
Thanx a lot for your help.
hync
2004-05-14 09:31:02 UTC
Thanks a lot, Stephen

But we got this "error" as a result of HttpEndRequest function. Shall we handle it in the same way, i.e. repeat HttpSendRequest ?
Stephen Sulzer
2004-05-14 19:17:18 UTC
Yes, regardless of which WinInet API gives you the FORCE_RETRY status, goto
back to the HttpSendRequest and send the entire request again.